Monday, March 12, 2007

Now, that's what I'm talkin 'bout!

Up to 73 here today. Glorious, glorious, glorious!

'Course, I had a gazillion errands to run, but what a great day to buzz through Starbuck's and grab a big coffee with extra cream, thankyouverymuch, roll the window down and crank the CD player. Jimmy Buffet's "Beach House on the Moon" was today's selection. Not exactly your usual Buffet fare, but it grows on ya.

Off to the druggie's to get a script filled, then to the store on a search and destroy mission for some Thai ingredients....and Kroger had every. single. one. Sesame oil; check. Coconut milk; check. Rice wine vinegar; check. Red curry paste; check. Jasmine rice; check. Fresh ginger; check. I figured I'd hafta run down to Main Street and snag some of the stuff from that Oriental grocery there, but good ole Kroger saved me a trip. They had everything I needed. Well, except Thai fish sauce.

I punted and grabbed a bottle of oyster sauce instead. I figured...what the hell...fish?...oyster?...it's all seafood, right? And it's oyster. How bad could it be? Besides, it only calls for 1 1/2 teaspoons. I dare anyone to tell me that they can tell the difference.

Aaaaanywho, I'm trying some
  • Chicken Sate (Satay) With Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
  • .

    Sounds good, huh? We'll see.

    Then I did a little shoe shopping. Which I hate. I have such wide ole feet. I have ape feet. It's hard to find shoes that fit ape feet. Dang ole boss won't let me go barefoot at work. (sigh) Didn't find any. But I happened to remember I already have a great pair of Birkenstock's I used to wear to work. They're old, but still in good shape. Except they're white.

    Well, they were white. I painted 'em. Yup. I wanted a pair of navy shoes. So now they're navy. And they look great. A little navy latex craft paint, a little Mod-Podge for sealer/shine. and voila! They look brand new. And I know they're comfortable.

    Ok. Time to go start my Jasmine rice, spike my chicken (sounds dirty, doesn't it?) and fire up the grill.

    I'll letcha know how it turns out.

    Update: The Chicken Sate was great...but I'm not sure it was worth the effort it took to find all the marinade ingredients and mix it up. But the Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce was awesome. Wil tells me there is a big difference in oyster sauce and fish sauce, but it was great using oyster sauce...can't imagine it would be any better using the fish. The Jasmine Rice was...ok. It is a little more fragrant (I think it smells like popcorn) and has a little more flavor than regular.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home