Friday, March 10, 2006

Schadenfreude, schmadenfreude

  • Vonster
  • seems to think I've come down with a "nasty case of schadenfreude" regarding my post about
  • Thomas Kinkade
  • .

    I was pretty sure I knew what schadenfreude meant, but I looked it up, simply because I wasn't sure that Vonster was using it appropriately. Of course, he wasn't.

    Schadenfreude means taking delight in the misfortune of others. I absolutely do not take delight in the misfortune of others.

    I take delight in the things that people do to themselves to sabatoge their own lives and the hypocrisy that they show while trying to pretend that it wasn't really their fault or they didn't do it. "Misfortune" has absolutely nothing to do with it.

    Misfortune:
    Bad fortune or ill luck.
    The condition resulting from bad fortune or ill luck.

    Let me see if I can illustrate the difference.

    Scenario #1 - Vonster is walking down Main Street, minding his own business. A truck runs a red light at Main and University, just as he's attempting to cross the street (no jaywalking ticket for him) and he's hit.

    Do I experience schadenfreude? Do I delight in his misfortune? Nope. Poor guy was minding his own business, complying with the law and an accident happened. I'd feel all the empathy in the world for him.

    Scenario #2 - Vonster is walking down Main Street, minding his own business, when he notices a demonstration of anti-Bush, liberal, athiest lesbians picketing in front of Bradley. He becomes enraged and attempts to cross the street, against the light, to confront them. His trademark screech of "MOONBATS!" has barely escaped his lips when he's hit by a truck.

    Is THAT schadenfreude-worthy? You betcha.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home