Friday, January 05, 2007

Makes sense to me

This is from a "Letters to the Editor" in an Oregon newspaper and sent to me by a pal.

I have a question, not only for Douglas County, but for the entire state of Oregon. Like a lot of folks in this state, I have a job. I work, they pay me, I pay my taxes and the government distributes my taxes as they see fit. In order for me to get that paycheck, I am required to pass a random urine drug test, which I have no problem with.

What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to people who DON'T have to pass a urine drug test. Shouldn't one have to pass a random urine drug test to get a welfare check, because I have to pass one to go earn it for them?

Please understand I have nothing against helping people get back on their feet. I do, on the other hand, have a problem with helping someone sit on their butt. Could you imagine how much money the state would save if people had to pass a urine test to get a public assistance check?


Leonard Wilson
Riddle

Now, ya just know that the ACLU would be all over it in a heartbeat if we tried to make welfare recipients take random drug tests to get their monthly check. But I'd like for someone to explain to me why it's ok for individual companies to demand it of their workers. Isn't that like...a violation of our human rights?

I suppose it isn't because of the whole "right to work" thing. A company can essentially demand anything of you (within reason) and you can either comply or quit.

I dunno...maybe we ought to start demanding a little more out of our welfare recipients. For starters, maybe like learning about things like "personal responsibility" and "working for a living".

But I'm sure that'd be some sorta human rights violation too, huh?

The world has sure become a screwy place, hasn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home