Sunday, November 26, 2006

Tomorrah...a'hl think about that tomorrah...

I'm in the midst of "watching" Gone With The Wind for the fifty-eleventh time. I quoted watching because I don't actually hafta "watch" it anymore...after the fifty-eleventh time, I mean. I know most of it by heart.

I absolutely adore it. I mean, it's got everything. Love, romance, war, political intrigue, action, comedy...it's like the movie to end all movies. And, think about it...the breadth...the very largness of the movie. In 1939, no less. And that technicolor! Pretty amazing stuff for back then.

'Course, as with most movies that are based on books, the book was better. I've read it fifty-eleven times, too. But, still...it's Numero Uno on my list of most-loved movies.

And it's not just that it's got everything that a good movie should have. It's got one thing that no other movie has. Scarlett O'Hara. As crazy as it sounds, I identify with Scarlett. No, I am Scarlett O'Hara. Or she could be me...my psychic twin...sorta.

I know...you're laughin your ass off at that thought. Lemme see if I can explain.


Yea, I'm about as far from a "Southern Belle" as one could get. Wasn't born in the South. Wasn't born to a wealthy family in the 1800's. Not beautiful by any stretch of the imagination. As for the sixteen-inch waist? Aaahahahahhahaha! I'm pretty sure my damn thigh is bigger around than that.

So, at face value, there's not anything that should make Scarlett and I alike. But we're so much alike it's scary.

She prefers to think about the bad things "tomorrah". She's strong-willed and stubborn as a mule. She's feisty and outspoken and, at times, downright rude. It's like...she knows the rules...just prefers to ignore 'em, especially if they don't suit her. Yea, she's a conniver and a schemer but she's also pragmatic and logical...well, except where Ashley is concerned. That's the one area where we drift apart a little and I wanna smack some sense into her.

I wanna shout, "Ashley's a blue-blooded, poetry-spouting, inbred FOP, you stupid bitch! Rhett's your man, honey."

For all her practicality and stubbornness, she still thinks she needs a man to "rescue" her. I don't think I needed a man to rescue me...but they're still awful nice to have around.

Now, you might think that Gone With the Wind doesn't really have a happy ending. After all, she finally figures out that Rhett is the man for her, but she's driven him away. Who can forget that smirky "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" line?
No, it's not a "happy" ending, at least in the traditional sense. Scarlett and Rhett don't wind up in the "happily ever after" situation.

I choose to think that it is a happy ending, though. She doesn't think she can bear Rhett leaving...but she'll think about that...tomorrah. See, it leaves the door open...just a crack. If I know Scarlett...and I should...after all, she's me...she'll figure out a way to get Rhett back. Or she'll finally figure out that she doesn't need a man to rescue her at all. Either way, it's a happy ending, right?

Now if I can just figure out a way to get Ziggy to sweep me off my feet and carry me up a looooong flight of stairs...and still have enough stamina left for a night of passion. (sigh)

Ah well...there's always tomorrah. A'hl think about that tomorrah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home