Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Study this

At any given point in time, there are 246,496 medical "studies" going on here in the US and elsewhere. Ok, I don't really know the exact number, but I'd be willing to bet it's close.

And, of those 246,496 studies, about half will completely contradict the findings of the other half.

I'm firmly convinced that most studies are skewed in the direction that the researchers would like them to take, even though they'd deny that until the last drop of grant money was dried up.

I take most of the results of these studies with a grain of salt. I figure if I wait a few months, the results will change. But I've heard the results of two studies just this week that reflect some of my own personal lifestyle choices.

The good news is that my risk of Alzheimer's is low because I take fish oil supplements.

The bad news is that my risk of breast cancer is increased because there's nothing I love more than a big slab of red meat.

So if I do develop breast cancer, unfortunately I won't forget it.

Now of course if, in a couple months, the results change...again...I won't get breast cancer. But then again, I won't remember than I don't have it, anyway.

Disclaimer Before anyone jumps on the "how-dare-you-make-fun-of-breast-cancer/Alzheimer's bandwagon", save your breath. I'm not making light of either of these two dreadful diseases.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home