Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thankful

It seems like I'm always bitchin about something, but despite a few relatively minor (but still highly irritating) health-related issues, there are things that I'm thankful for.

I'm not talkin about the major things that people usually talk about on Thanksgiving...the fact that we live in the land of the free and the home of the brave and yada yada yada. I'm thankful for that every day. Even though it seems like there's a lot wrong about the US right now, there's a lot more that's right. It's relative, really.

Nah. I'm not talkin about that. This is from a purely egocentric point of view. It's all about me.


As I was sitting here, having my coffee, the very first thing that popped into my mind that I was thankful for was the fact that I don't hafta work today. OR tomorrow. As someone who's been in the medical profession for quite a few years, believe me, that's a big deal. I'm thankful for those that are still there, in the trenches...'cause it'd really suck if I were sick on a holiday and there was no one to take care of me.

The second thing I'm thankful for is Ziggy. I know it's sappy, but there are times that I still can't believe that we found each other...even though it was 25 years after it should have happened. I'll never forgive Dame Fate for that. Bitch.

Of course, I'm thankful that I have a beautiful, healthy daughter and an equally beautiful, healthy granddaughter. Despite my shitty parenting skills, my daughter grew up to be a nice person. Without too many emotional scars. I hope. I love them both madly.

Then there's the myriad of little things that I'm thankful for that are sometimes taken for granted. A nice home. A decent car. Plenty of food to eat. Nice clothes. Friends and loved ones in my life. In my present job, I've seen some that don't have all those things...and more than one who doesn't have any of those things. If even there'd been one little glitch in my life along the line somewhere...just one wrong turn somewhere...one quirk of fate...well...it could be me.

You could drive yourself crazy thinkin about that, couldn't ya? The whole existential "in the greater scheme of things, how the hell did I wind up here" kinda thing.

Anywho, I'm thankful that I wound up here. And not there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home