Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Predators and pedophiles and perverts, oh MY!

They literally are everywhere. Catholic priests. Truck drivers. Rabbis. Physicians. Bankers. Teachers. Lawyers. Politicians. They cross every socio-economic line. They're from every religion and ethnicity. They're your neighbors, your co-workers, your relatives. "They" are everyman.

Yea, don't give me any crap about that being a sexist remark. The majority of pedophiles are men. I know that there are women that are called "pedophiles" out there, but I'm not so sure that most of them could be called pedophiles, in the truest sense of the description. I think there might be a whole 'nother "syndrome" or whatever out there...maybe one that hasn't been invented yet...for women who get involved with boys. I digress.

All the hoo-ha about former Rep. Mark Foley, who is admittedly gay, has brought about this particular post. There's been some debate about the age of consent being 16 in Washington DC and the page that he allegedly sent explicit IM's to was 16. I think that's a moot point. Foley was in a position of power. He's "employed" by US. He shouldn't have been sending explicit IM's...to anyone...let alone a 16 year old who was in a subordinate position.
And, don't ya just know that now they're saying that it might have been a Democratic ploy...a set-up right before an important election. Uh....so what if it was? Foley shouldn't have been tryin to stick his dick somewhere it didn't belong, set-up or not. Period. End of discussion.

But I've noticed that in a lot of the blogs I read, people seem to think that pedophelia and homosexuality go hand in hand. That isn't the case and it astonishes me that some people still think that way. That's not to say that a gay person can't be a pedophile. Maybe that's the case with Foley...who knows? I'm sure a gay person can be a pedophile. Just like your local priest or minister. But being gay doesn't predispose you to being a pedophile any more than being a priest does.

Read your way outa the dark ages, people.

But I'm kinda digressing again. This post isn't about "gay". It's about pedophelia. Two completely different topics.

I try to watch "To Catch a Predator" on Dateline NBC every time it's on. Let's face it...it's entertainment. I'm rarely shocked anymore. Well, the fat, middle-aged bastard that brought along his five year old son to hook up with what he thought was a 13 year old boy shocked me.

Anywho, what does continually suprise me about TCAP, is that a lot of the guys that are caught say that they've not only seen the show, but have some suspicion that this is a set-up. But they come anyway. No pun intended.

And what do they say when asked why they did it, even with their suspicion? They invariably say "I don't know" or "I'm stupid". Not a one of 'em tells the truth and says "Because I let my dick do my thinking."

I'm sure that's part of it. But another part has to be that they have this false sense of...omnipotence. They won't get caught because they're smarter. Yea, well. Shows ya how smart they really are.

TCAP has got me ta thinkin about the whole "age of consent" thing, too. And how the laws are written. The age of consent is different in every state. So're the laws.

Ok, so the 50 year old guy that tries to pick up a 12 year old boy or girl is a pedophile. No question. But what about the 20 year old guys who try to hook up with a 14 year old girl? See, I know that legally, he's considered a pedophile. In some states. Others, he's not. But I can remember what it was like being a 14 year old girl. We all thought it was cool to have a 18 or 19 year old "boyfriend". And if you have a particularly immature 20 year old guy...I dunno. I understand that there's gotta be a legal line drawn somewhere. But to label the 20 year old guy as a pedophile for life? I'm not so sure about that.

And what if you get a couple of 15 year olds who get their freak on in a state where the age of consent is 16? Is the 15 year old boy then labeled as a pedophile for the rest of his life if the girl's parents wanna push prosecution? Wouldn't both of 'em be called pedophiles?

Don't get me wrong. Those sick, twisted assholes that get off on innocent little kids...well...honestly, I think they're a far worse scourge on society than murderers. At least a murderer can be rehabilitated, in many cases. The rate of recidivisim for pedophiles is astronomical. They aren't ever "rehabilitated"...ever cured.

They're the lowest of the low. I can't think up a bad enough word to call 'em. I hope they lose their jobs, their families, everything that's important to them. I hope they suffer the tortures of hell, if there is one, a thousand times over.

But I dunno the answer. I know ya can't legislate morality. I don't know as any of us has the right to decide what's moral for someone else. But I think that might be part of the problem, here. Where's the line? Who decides where that line is? Aside from the religious viewpoint, I mean, who decides what's moral and what's not?

Ya know, those of us that aren't religious DO have a sense of right and wrong. We DO have our own set of guidelines...standards...that we live by. Standards that have nothing to do with religion and everything to do with the "right" way to do something...the "human", if you will, way to treat other people.

But a pedophile? Let's just say that I'd be glad to think up a good punishment for a true pedophile. And it wouldn't have anything to do with treating them "humanely".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home