Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Whatcha doin?

Glad summer's here? Me too.

And in celebration, we're hosting a house full this weekend.

Honestly, I can't wait. I loooove to entertain and we don't get the chance to do it nearly often enough. So I've been busy this week, fluffing and buffing, trying to get the pigsty that I've let the spare bedroom become spiffed a bit.
I'm on the homestretch now, kiddies. That spare room looks like something from a bed and breakfast. Whatever ya do, though, pleeeeease don't look in the closet, m'kay?

So anywho, two other couples are coming for the weekend...great pals, they are. The booze will flow freely and the conversation will purely sparkle, I tell ya. Those four are the absolute funnest people to be around.

We were planning on taking them to one of our fine local eating establishments, so whilst talking last weekend, I asked them what they were up for. After all said that they trusted us implicitly to choose and suprise them, one added, "I don't care a bit as long as it's nothin fancy. I've been known to walk in a joint, see it had white linen tablecloths, and walk right back out."

Gawd love 'em!

They want 'local color'...somethin fun and unique but nothin fancy. My kinda peeps. I'm thinkin something with a river view...either the Burger Barge, Captain Ron's or maybe back up to South Rome to the River Beach Pub. Dining al fresco alongside the gently flowing Illinois...ahhh, yea. And plenty of "local color".

After dinner, we're planning to head down to our beautiful riverfront for the 'Mambo' part of the annual "Jumbo Gumbo Mambo Combo". It's a rather unique concept...combine two cultural festivals in one weekend. The 'Jumbo Gumbo' part is Friday night and consists of Cajun music and grub. The 'Mambo' part on Saturday night is the Hispanic equivalent. We've gone the last two years and had a blast.

Part of what makes the Mambo Jam soooo much fun is
  • Banda Rika
  • . If you love Latin music...ooooo!....are you in for a treat! They put on a high-energy, extremely entertaining show. Their music just makes you wanna get up and move.

    So if you happen to be at the Mambo Jam at the riverfront on Saturday night and happen to see six slightly tipsy, middle-aged people laughing like hyenas and generally making asses out of themselves, do stop by and say, "Hey!"

    I'll even buy ya a beer. I'll buy ya two if ya can teach me the Merengue.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home