Monday, May 03, 2010

Now there's somethin ya don't hear every day, Chauncy

(I dunno where that saying came from, but my parents used to say it.)

I stopped by
  • Relics
  • , 3402 NE Adams this afternoon.

    I love the quirky, funky little shop...it offers antiques, really unusual and sorta vintage jewelry...oh, just a little of everything.

    And their customer service just can't be beat.

    I found a couple of pieces of jewelry that I just couldn't live without. I took 'em up to the counter and very nice young man greeted me...I think it was the owner. I was thrilled with my "finds", but disappointed to learn they don't take credit cards.

    Unfortunately, I had exactly two dollars and some change in my billfold...and here's the conversation that ensued:

    Me: "You don't take credit cards?"

    Him: "No, sorry. Cash or check only."

    Me: "Ahhh...ok. Well can you hold these for me and I'll stop in later this afternoon. I have some other errands and I'll hit the ATM before coming back."

    Him: "Do you live around here? Or work?"

    Me: "I live in Chillcothe, but work here in town."

    Him: "Well, just take the stuff and stop in tomorrow and pay for it."

    Me: ......(standing there with my mouth open)

    Him: "Really. It's fine. Just take it and stop in tomorrow."

    Me: "Oh, no, no...I'll run my errands and stop at the ATM."

    So that's what I did.

    But I still can't believe he offered to let me just take the stuff with just my word that I'd be back to pay for it.

    I must have a really honest face. heh

    2 Comments:

    At 11:36 PM , Blogger Wil said...

    That's a rare example of mercantile trust.

    By the by, I think it was originally a radio show in the 1930's. The only confirmed link was to The Bullwinkle Show from 1961.


    "The Bullwinkle Show" (1961) - Memorable quotes
    Rocky: I'm worried because there have already been two attempts on your life. ... Rocket J. Squirrel: And now, here to tell you everything about anything is Mr. Know-It-All .... Edgar: That's something you don't see every day, Chauncey. ...

     
    At 10:00 PM , Blogger Chef Kevin said...

    Must be something in the air. I was at Schnucks trying to figure out where in the clusterf*ck they moved everything and the Coca-Cola rep asked me what I was looking for. "Flour" "Oh, they moved it over here" and showed me where it was at.

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home