Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Wired, but not wet...yet

It's after 10:30 and it's been a long...loooong ass day. I'm not really nervous or upset about the flooding. Hell...whattaya gonna do? I'm exhausted, but I'm...wired. Earler, I'd pace from the front yard to the back, watchin the water slowly rise from both directions. Now that it's dark, I'm pacin from the front door to the back, out on the deck (where I really can't see much of anything) and back again. I'll sit down, but jump up again in 2 minutes, just...pacin around.

I'll admit...I'm gettin a little concerned. The basement's already more'n half full. The water's just at the back door...another 1/2 inch, and it'll be comin in the landing, which we fully expected anyway. Just four steps up and it'll hit the main floor of the house. I dont' know whether to try to stay up all night to see if we need to start haulin stuff up off the floor and up into the loft and on every available, raised surface, or just try to turn it off for the night and go to bed. What will be, will be. Que sera, sera, right?

I'm thinkin about where we'll go if we hafta leave. How long we'll hafta be gone, if we do hafta evacuate. How we'll haul these damned cats out. If I should go ahead and pack some "necessities"...just in case. I feel like I should get off my damn ass and do somethin. But what? I dunno. I dunno. I dunno. I think that's the worst part...the uncertainty. And it's not like we haven't already thought and talked about these things...we have.

After going through this, I can understand why people are hesitant to evacuate in a natural disaster. I can. It's home. It's supposed to be your safe place...your haven. Nothin bad can happen to you at home, right? It's where all your stuff is. And I don't just mean stuff as in posessions. I mean...it's like...part of you. I know this situation really pales in comparison to somethin like a hurricaine. But now I understand.

All our neighbors say that the water won't...or shouldn't...get into the main floor. They oughta know. They've all lived through some record floods around here. But...I dunno.

I think the quietness is gettin to me, too. I mean, it's always quiet down here. But tonight it's...hushed. Except for the crickets and tree frogs, there ain't a sound...anywhere. Kinda spooky...but kinda nice, too.

I dunno. Dammit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home