Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Food fun

I was fortunate enough to have been born to parents who were extremely experimental in the kitchen. Especially Dad. They both encouraged me to always try everything...at least once. As a kid, I'd occasionally kick up a fuss about trying something new, but I was never a picky eater. Obviously. (ahem) I've always been thankful, though, that they did push me to try new things.

Dad loved to poke around in the imported section of grocery stores, gathering up all kinds of unusual spices, odd condiments and unpronounceable foods. I've inherited his love of foodsploration, too.

In that vein, I swiped this meme from
  • Elisson
  • . I've never heard of some of the things but thankfully, he's provided a definition for each and every one. Though it's a pretty diverse list, there are a few things that don't appear on it that I think should...like Rocky Mountain Oysters. heh Oh, and I've added an asterisk beside the things that I have tried.

    100 Things You Should Eat Before You Die

    *100. Venison - Good gawd. I grew up in the country. Dad was a hunter. 'Nuff said.

    99. Nettle tea - I've stepped in plenty of 'em...but never had 'em in tea.

    *98. Huevos rancheros

    *97. Steak tartare - I fear no salmonella. heh

    96. Crocodile - Loooove deep fried alligator tail. Can't imagine croc would taste any different.

    95. Black pudding

    *94. Cheese fondue

    *93. Carp - I'm a river rat from waaaay back. Carp was a staple.

    *92. Borscht

    *91. Baba ghanoush

    *90. Calamari

    *88. PB&J sandwich

    87. Aloo gobi

    *86. Hot dog from a street cart

    85. Époisses

    84. Black truffle

    *83. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes

    82. Steamed pork buns

    *81. Pistachio ice cream

    *80. Heirloom tomatoes

    *79. Fresh wild berries

    *78. Foie gras

    *77. Rice and beans

    *76. Brawn, or head cheese - I didn't say I liked it.

    75. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper - I like spicy. I don't care much for volcano.

    *74. Dulce de leche - This was the very first thing my home ec teacher taught us to make. And, no...she wasn't Hispanic.

    *73. Oysters - Loooove me some oysters. Every which way. Raw. Fried. Smoked. In stew.

    *72. Baklava - I used to work with a doc from Chicago who'd bring us fresh, homemade Baklava from his Greek gramma. Oooooo!

    *71. Bagna cauda - It's to die for. Literally.

    70. Wasabi peas

    *69. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl

    68. Salted lassi

    *67. Sauerkraut

    *66. Root beer float

    65. Cognac with a fat cigar

    64. Clotted cream tea - I'm not sure I wanna try anything with the word "clot" in it.

    *63. Vodka jelly/Jell-O shot - Mmmhmmm.

    *62. Gumbo - I make a mean pot o'gumbo, if I do say so myself.

    *61. Oxtail - As in oxtail soup, anyway.

    60. Curried goat

    59. Whole insects - If I was starvin, then maybe. But not unless I hafta.

    58. Phaal

    *57. Goat’s milk

    *56. Single malt whisky

    55. Fugu - And fugu you, too.

    54. Chicken tikka masala

    *53. Eel

    *52. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut

    51. Sea urchin

    *50. Prickly pear - Thanks to dear ole Dad when he was in his "Euell Gibbons" phase.

    49. Umeboshi

    48. Abalone

    47. Paneer

    *46. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal - Though why this would make a list like this, I'll never know.

    *45. Spaetzle

    44. Dirty gin martini

    43. Beer above 8% ABV

    42. Poutine

    *41. Carob chips - But I'll have real chocolate, please.

    *40. S’mores

    *39. Sweetbreads - We had these fairly often when I was a kid, but was never a big fan.

    38. Kaolin

    37. Currywurst

    36. Durian - Thanks to Andrew Zimmern and Anthony Bourdain...no thanks.

    *35. Frogs’ legs - Tastes like a cross between chicken and shrimp.

    *34. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake

    33. Haggis - It sounds horrific...but I'd try it. Once.

    32. Fried plantain

    *31. Chitterlings, or andouillette - Fresh chittlins? Yea!

    *30. Gazpacho

    *29. Caviar and blini

    28. Louche absinthe - A bottle of absinthe is on my Christmas Wish List.

    27. Gjetost, or brunost

    26. Roadkill - I had barbecued raccoon once. Not sure where it came from. heh

    25. Baijiu

    *24. Hostess Fruit Pie

    *23. Snails

    *22. Lapsang souchong

    21. Bellini

    20. Tom yum

    *19. Eggs Benedict

    *18. Pocky

    17. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant

    16. Kobe beef

    *15. Hare - I assume wild rabbit is close enough?

    *14. Goulash

    *13. Flowers - Nasturtiums in salad. Sugared violets. Deep fried squash and/or pumpkin blossims.

    12. Horse

    11. Criollo

    *10. Spam

    9. Soft shell crab

    8. Rose harissa

    *7. Catfish - Like carp...it was a staple.

    6. Mole poblano

    *5. Bagel and lox

    *4. Lobster Thermidor - Lotsa lobster - no thermidor.

    *3. Polenta - Ziggy looooves it.

    2. Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee

    *1. Snake - Fried rattlesnake tastes sorta like fried 'gator.

    Hmmmm....56. Looks like I need to expand my horizons a bit more, eh?

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home