Friday, September 07, 2007

Pros and Cons

For nearly a year now, I've been working half-time...and I love it. Tuesday, Thursday and until noon on Friday. Now tell me, could there be a better schedule than that? Well, except to not hafta work at all, I mean.

For the last several months, my boss has been gently cajoling me to go full time with phrases like, "I'd love to have you here all week", and "Just think...if you went full time, your vacation, sick and personal time would double."

So like I said, this has been going on for several months now. Even before we had any openings for a full time spot. Now we have an opening, so the cajoling has stepped up a little. And I finally caved.

Well, sorta.

I applied, but told my boss that I wouldn't really make up my mind until they formally offered me the spot. That buys me a little time. So I'm thinkin about the pros and cons....seriously.

Pros:

1. Double the vacation, sick and personal time. (Nice.)
2. Double the salary. (Hmmm...that'd definitely be nice.)
3. Fully paid holidays instead of half-pay. (Ok. That'd be nice, too.)
4. Health insurance. (Already have that, but mine's a little cheaper than Zig's...for pretty much the same coverage.)
5. Learning a new, more intensive area of the job. (Eh...)

Cons:

1. Double the rush hour traffic. (Ick!)
2. Double the gas consumption. (ICK!)
3. Double the work. (Aye. There's the rub.)
4. No more three and a half day weekends. (Ok, the scales are tilting.)
5. No more cheerfully walking out at noon on Friday while the rest of the drones toil on. (Damn, but that feels goooood.)
6. No more delicious Friday afternoon naps. (Ye gawds! Now we're talkin a serious con. I loved it today...as I walked out, one of the IT guys was workin on a computer and I said "I think I'll go home and take a nap." He glared at me and said, "Go get bent." heh)

Pretty much everyone has told me I'm crazy for even considering it.

When I think about losin those Friday afternoon naps...well...I'm thinkin maybe they're right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home