Saturday, July 21, 2007

When life gives you lemons...

...make
  • Limoncello!

    I love citrus fruit...especially lemons and limes. I happened to catch an episode of Giada's
  • Everyday Italian" on the Food Network a couple weeks ago and she was making Limoncello, so I had to look up the recipe.

    Oh. My. Gawd. It's like the most delicious lemon drop...with one heck of a kick.

    'Course, it's traditionally made with 96% alcohol. (Talk about a kick.) But I just used plain ole vodka, which is what her recipe called for. Plenty big enough kick for me, anyway.

    750 ml. bottle vodka
    10 lemons - peels only
    3 1/2 C water
    2 1/2 C sugar

    (I used the now-naked lemons to make homemade lemon shakeups.)

    Take a big bowl and pour vodka over lemon peels and cover with plastic wrap. (I used a gallon tea jug with a lid.)
    Let sit for 4 days at room temp.

    When the 4 days are up, stir the sugar and water together over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and a simple syrup forms.

    Cool and pour over the now-totally-drunk lemon peels. Let stand overnight at room temp.

    Strain liquid into bottles and stick 'em in the freezer.

    YUM! It's a party in your mouth!

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home