Friday, June 09, 2006

TOOLS...I got to use tools

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

On more than one occasion, I've mentioned how much I like where we live...Peoria, this small complex and especially the apartment, itself. I love the floorplan. I love the airy spaciousness and the amount of storage space. There are very few things I'd change if I owned the place. Well...uh...actually I have changed a few things, even though we rent. The stark white walls. The patio. I mean, if I'm gonna live someplace, even if it's not mine, I want it...well...the way I want it, even if it means paying for it ourselves, ya know?

But there are things like the kitchen floor that kinda bug me. Though in excellent condition, it's a slightly dated, dark faux wood parquet. Kinda...blah. I wouldn't mind having different kitchen cabinets, either. But let's face it...there's gotta be a limit to what we can do.

There's another little thing that's bothered me the whole time we've lived here.

The floor covering in the rest of the rooms is a plush, cream-colored carpeting. It was installed a year before we moved in, so it's in great condition. It's not necessarily something I'd probably choose. I'd much rather have something in a Berber...or even hardwood. But...it's not our place.

Because the carpet is so light and because Ziggy wears big ole greasy boots to work, I've always had to keep a rug just in front of the door. Now, without a rug there, the door barely opened, anyway...they didn't bother to shave the bottom of the door off or add some kinda threshold when they installed the thick carpeting. So when the rug was in place...well, let's talk hernia when trying to push the damn door open. It was especially fun with an armful of groceries or laundry.

Ya know? It's just one of those little, insignificant things that only bothers ya when ya think about it. Or when ya open the door.

Of course, the rug rarely stayed in place so, like a dumbass, I put three strips of double-sided tape under the rug to hold it. Uh...but I used the wrong kind of tape. I used the heavy-duty-glue-a-grand-piano-to-the-wall kinda tape. Can you say embedded? Uh huh. Into the carpet.

This normally wouldn't be much of a problem. I mean...who's gonna know? Until we move, anyway. Except for the fact that I arranged to have the carpet cleaned next Monday.

Not wanting the pros to know what a dumbass I am, I decided to go ahead and do something we'd only talked about. Install a tile threshold in front of the door.

Frankly, I wasn't sure I could do it. I mean, I've participated in countless major remodeling projects in a past life, but it has been a while. And while this little project wasn't anywhere near the major undertaking of some of the stuff I've done, I've gotta admit...I've missed it. Ripping up stuff. Making it new...better. The satisfaction of a DIY project. Using tools.

I love it.

And yea...I did it all by myself. Well, except for the trim. Ziggy hadda cut the angles for me.

But, I bet I coulda.

Now, about that kitchen floor.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home