Saturday, June 03, 2006

"Ballsy"...it's a learning process

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Scott at
  • O'Brien's Briar Patch
  • offers his own list of Peoria's Most
  • Ballsy Bloggers
  • .

    He's bestowed upon me the dubious honor of the Number 1 spot.

    Well actually, I really don't think of it as 'dubious'. I'm rather flattered, truth be told. Being called "ballsy" is far more pleasant than being called "blowsy", doncha think? Especially for a woman my age. heh

    I'm sure that many people wouldn't look upon being called ballsy as a compliment, but I do. You see, it's taken me a lifetime to get here. It's taken me a lifetime to get to the point where I feel comfortable enough in my own skin to pretty much speak my mind. Speaking your mind might not seem like a big deal to most people. But to someone who was a painfully shy as a child (and still struggles with it, occasionally...really), it is a big deal.

    However, there's a very fine line between 'ballsy' and 'obnoxious'. I tread that line quite carefully. It's easy to be obnoxious. Well, I think it is, anyway. It must be...there are so many obnoxious people out there. Ya know the old saying? If it was easy, anyone could do it.

    But ballsy is harder. Ballsy is a little...softer...than obnoxious. Ballsy is a bit more...ah...diplomatic?...than obnoxious. Easier to spell, too.

    I've always claimed that, in person, I'm exactly like what you read. That's essentially true...with a few little exceptions. If you're being a dick, I'll call you a dick...online or in person. But it might take a little more provocation for me to call you a dick to your face.

    I cuss like a sailor, but I can be as prim and proper as Dana Carvey's 'Church Lady' when the situation calls for it. Uh...wait. That might not be the best illustration. The Church Lady could get pretty damned...prickly. You get the idea, though, right?

    Yea, I can be a hedonistic bitch, but I usually cry when I watch a parade, especially when I see those old vets proudly marching while carrying the flag.

    I can be as rude and crude and filthy-minded as a card-carrying pervert, but I've comforted countless grieving families, giving up a tiny bit of myself with every one.

    I absolutely love South Park, but my preferred tv channels are The History Channel, National Geographic and Discovery.

    I can be equally comfortable eating at a 'fingers-only' barbecue joint or some 'white-linen-tablecloth-and-fine-crystal' place. Oh, I might prefer the barbeque joint, but I can tell the difference between a salad fork and a dinner fork and can use them properly.

    I might be a pig's ear at heart, but there are times when I can be the finest silk purse. Yes, it can be done. Don't ever let anybody tell ya different.

    So, ballsy? I'm not offended, even a little bit. Wanna offend me? Call me 'boring'. Call me 'plebian'. Call me 'vacuous'. Call me 'tedious'.

    Wanna really offend me? Call me 'bloviating'. Or 'pompous'. And don't, fer gawd's sake...ever call me a 'journalist'.

    Ballsy. I wear the title proudly.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home