Thursday, May 25, 2006

It's the little things

If I ever talk about buying another General Motors product (as in Chevrolet), somebody kick me.

Now, my dad swore by Chevrolet. Talk about your brand loyalty. But the thing is, every single Chevy he had was a damn good car.

This is the first Chevy I've ever owned. And all I ever do is swear at it.

Engine-wise, it's been just peachy (knock wood). Well...pretty much. But then again, I've only put about 13,000 miles on it since I bought it. But it's the little things that have gone wrong that just irritate the hell outa me.

I hadn't had it but a few months (but of course, it was after the limited warranty had expired) when the turn signal stopped working. Occasionally. It might work for a few weeks, then it'd just quit. I finally got a recall notice about it and had it fixed.

Then, there was this funny, quirky thing with it starting. It wouldn't. Occasionally. I called the Chevy dealership and they said that it was a glitch in the anti-theft system that was a 'known' problem, but evidently not well known enough for a recall. If it wouldn't start, turn the key to the 'on' position, wait 12 minutes (not 10...not 15...12) then try it. Bingo. Kind of a pain in the ass if you're in a hurry to get somewhere, but hey...

Repair? "Very" expensive, I was told. So expensive, he didn't even tell me. Howz about just disabling the anti-theft system, I asked. Yea, that's one solution. But it'd cost me nearly 400 bucks. And he didn't think that was 'very' expensive?

Ok, so I'm rarely in a hurry to get anywhere.

Problem number three reared it's ugly head in the form of a gear shift that wouldn't...well...shift. Occasionally. Again, something with turning the key to the 'on' position...all related to the anti-theft system, too. Luckily, that's only happened a couple of times. (Frantically knocking on wood again)

Problem number four? The air conditioning quit. Permanently...ain't no 'occasional' about it. The compressor won't even kick on. I haven't even bothered to have that checked out. Ziggy did try replacing some little tiny, highly expensive doohickey...I forget what he called it. But he might as well of flushed his 30 bucks down the toilet.

What the hell. I like sweating my ass off while I'm stuck in traffic. It makes me feel.....alive. I've often thought that it'd be kinda neat if the electric windows quit, too. I'd have my own, private sauna on wheels.

(Gawd...I shouldn'ta said that. You just know that'll be the next thing to go, doncha?)

Tonight? Well, tonight, my tilt wheel quit tilting. In the 'up' positon, of course. I feel like I'm driving a semi, not to mention that I can barely see over the damn steering wheel now. I suppose I could sit on a pillow, but then my foot wouldn't reach the accelerator.

It's in the perfect position that, gawd forbid, my airbag deploys, it'll drive my nasal bones right up into my brain.

Which is probably what I deserve for buying a Chevy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home