Monday, March 08, 2010

Ya just can't get good help anymore

I don't know what we did, pre-cat, when we had something to put together.

Because obviously we just can't construct a damn thing without their help and support.

Ahem.

I've been looking for a new dining table for several months, but couldn't find exactly what I wanted. Until I stopped by Pier 1 on Saturday.



I loved it, but it did require a little DIY construction. Thankfully, I happen to be lucky enough to have an honest-ta-gawd, real, live handyman at my beck and call.

And a couple of cats.

Simon supervises.


"He's not doin it right!"


Both da boys get in on the "helping" action.


Simon makes sure that Ziggy stays on task by holding him down.


Construction complete, Simon grabs a well-deserved snooze. Hey...supervising is hard work.


In other news...I went to the doc this morning. The good news is that my blood pressure was 110/78 and my cholesterol was 158!

The bad news is that I'm now "officially" a Type II diabetic and my left knee is truly and completely fucked. My doc thinks I need a knee replacement. I think I'm gonna put that little adventure off as long as I can. I have an appointment with an ortho next week, so we'll see what he thinks.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, I've gained 8 pounds since I quit smoking. I suppose I should be thankful it was only 8. (sigh)

But I can't figure out how I managed to lower my cholesterol and raise my blood sugar and gain weight...all while working like hell to eat healthy.

I'm not kiddin...I've cut out damn near all carbs...no bread, potatoes, rolls, donuts, cake, cookies, pasta (sob!); no sugar, no fast foods, no junk foods...and I still gained weight.

In the last month or so, I've even fixed a couple of recipes using
  • kale
  • , fer chrissake!

    Kale!

    4 Comments:

    At 5:49 PM , Blogger Rixblix said...

    Growing old is not for the faint of heart. That's for damn sure. I've made a "hot and sour" kale that's really awesome:

    (http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/RCP00217/hot-and-sour-greens.html}

    I'm working on getting my BP down as well as cholesterol (and weight), been on a CPAP for 6 weeks, synthroid for 6 weeks and going sans smokes starting this week.

     
    At 7:19 AM , Blogger Commander Zaius said...

    I do believe the only real intelligence on the planet are cats. They stay totally cool and have that detached and slightly snobbish view of us ridiculous primates.

    Great news on on the blood pressure and cholesterol, bummer on the rest.

     
    At 9:05 PM , Blogger Nate said...

    If the ortho doc says you need a knee replacement, sign up for the swap immediately. My best buddy, Kenny went the other way- kept the old ones until he couldn't stand (literally) it any longer. He had both knees replaced and can now do everything he wants without pain or discomfort.

    Dealing with the Diabetes problem here too- with the BSU. She's been doing the insulin shots for 6-8 weeks now and working on the diet too. She is not happy about that!

     
    At 9:23 AM , Blogger Pammy said...

    Rix...truer words were never spoken. Ya oughta be able to be born old and get younger.

    I agree about the cats, BB.

    Nate, thankfully I don't have to do the insulin shots. I worked like hell with the diet thing and it still didn't lower my numbers much so he started me on an oral med.

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home