Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What's for supper?

'Tis the season...to be busy.

Shopping for presents. Decorating your home. Planning get-togethers with family and friends. Baking, making and creating...cookies, candies and homemade gifts.

Who the hell's got time to make dinner?

I do! And so will you.

This casserole has been a family favorite for literally years. I "discovered" it during a potluck dinner that was given by the church ladies after the funeral of my ex's grandmother some...oh...thirty-odd years ago. Ya just know there's gonna be some good eats when the church ladies fix a dinner.

The funny thing is, I'd have never...ever...tried the recipe if I hadn't tasted it first. One ingredient just sounded too...strange to me. I'd have never thought of adding Chow Mein noodles to a casserole. But trust me...after it's done, ya won't even recognize 'em.

Aaanywho...one of our favorites:

Six Cans and a Chicken Casserole

1 large can Chow Mein noodles
1 small can Durkee french fried onions
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 can evaporated milk
2-3 cups cooked, diced chicken
Salt/pepper to taste

Throw it all together in a bowl, mix it up good, give your favorite casserole dish a shot of non-stick spray, throw the mixture in the dish and bake it at 350* til it's golden brown and bubbling.

Serve with a nice green veggie or salad.

Poof! It's supper.



Because I try to make most things a little healthier, I use the lower sodium/low fat soups and fat-free evaporated milk. I really don't notice any difference, but...ya know...to each his own. I've used leftover baked chicken (pull the skin off first), leftover grilled chicken or boiled boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs...doesn't matter...it's all good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home