Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Snow job

The last time I looked at the clock last night, it was nearly 2 am.

The alarm went off at 6 am because it's a work day.

We're in the midst of a blizzard.

So why am I feelin so damned goooood?

SNOW DAY!

Yup. I'm gettin paid to stay home. Absofuckinglutely amazing.

As a nurse, I never thought I'd be able to say "I don't hafta work today. The weather's too bad." Small thing, I know. In the greater scheme of things, it's miniscule. But it's a big deal to me. Really big.

Being a hospital nurse is like being a mailman...the whole 'neither snow nor rain nor sleet yada yada yada' thing.
Talk about putting your life on the line. I've driven through crap that no sane person would venture out into. Because people depended on me. Because if I didn't get there, it would put tons of extra work on whoever did manage to get there. Because there were patients depending on me. And because if I didn't, I'd be severely reprimanded, if not outright fired.

And now I work at a place that actually puts the safety of their employees first. A place where what I do isn't a matter of life and death. A place where people are actually happy to be there.

And even happier when they don't hafta brave a blizzard to get there...and they still get paid for it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home