Sunday, December 17, 2006

Could you?

I'm watching the movie
  • Alive!
  • ...for the third or fourth time.

    If you don't remember the story (I remember when it actually happened), it's about the Uruguayan soccer team members who were survivors of the airplane crash into the Andes mountains on October 13, 1972. They survived for 72 days by eating the flesh of their dead teammates.

    Can you even begin to imagine? 72 days in one of the harshest climates in the world with no food and not much shelter? It boggles my mind.

    I've read the book and have also seen the documentary
  • Alive: 20 Years Later
  • .

    Yea, I guess you could my interest in it is a morbid fascination. I mean, the story of the
  • The Donner Party
  • fascinates me, too. But it's not just that, really. Both stories really are testaments to the strength of the human spirit...the survival instinct.

    I imagine that we'd all like to think we'd be strong in a situation like that. But the fact of the matter is, none of us...unless we're forced into that position...knows just exactly what we'd be capable of.

    But when I first heard about the details of the soccer team's rescue...that they survived by eating the dead...I remember thinking that, should I ever be put into the same position, I could do it, too. I think I could. I mean, I wouldn't have any kind of "moral" problem with it. Put in the simplest of terms, it's a matter of survival. Period. You either do it or you die.

    So, yea...if I should find myself in a position like that, I could do it. But I'm curious as to how many of you think you could do it, too.

    I know it's hard to answer this as we sit in our warm homes with plenty of food in the refrigerator and nearly every convenience known to man, but try to put yourself in their place...no food, no heat, 40 degrees below zero and just the tiniest glimmer of hope of rescue. Try to imagine the unimaginable.

    Could you?

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home