Friday, July 21, 2006

Now, c'mon....ya just KNEW this'd happen, didn'tcha?

So, I was readin
  • this
  • story about Peoria's new noise ordinance in today's issue of the PJStar. An ordinance, btw, that I'm highly in favor of.

    The tagline?

    Some concerned noise ordinance an excuse for racial profiling

    Didn't ya just know it?

    Fifteen of the individuals who were stopped and forced to turn their vehicles over to police were black, two were white and five were female. Five of the cars stopped for loud music violations were also arrested on prior charges, like driving without a license, fleeing or eluding, obstructing police, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, as well as incidents related to drugs and weapons.

    In the last five years that I've lived here in Peoria, I figure I've driven around town...oh....probably close to 1500 times. (I tried to do the math, but got stuck...I'm guessin here). I think it'd be safe to say that on EVERY single one of those 1500 trips, I've had the pleasure to encounter some moron with the volume on his/her car stereo turned up to "make-yer-ears-bleed". It's especially pleasureable when stuck at a stop light in the summer...with my windows down.

    Once last summer, when stuck on Main at an especially long light, it actually made me nauseated...I learned later that there's a theory out there among musicians called "the brown note theory". If you hit just the right decibel, it can make you throw up...or shit your pants. Hence "brown" note. To really simplify the loooong medical explanation a bit, you've got a nerve (the vagus nerve) that pretty much runs from your brain, near your inner ear, alongside your heart and stomach and right down to your asshole. It controls the gag reflex, stimulates vomiting and/or diarrhea. It's why you get sick to your stomach when you're dizzy. Your inner ear gets irritated, which in turn, irritates the vagus nerve. It's also why so many people who have heart attacks throw up...or die on the shitter. The heart is injured, the nerve gets irritated because it's next to the heart and it stimulates your body to throw up or poop.

    I have no doubt that if I'd had to sit at that light any longer, I'd have puked in my lap. The minute I got away from it, the nausea passed. I can't believe that there aren't those offenders out there that haven't pooped their pants whilst chillin in their 'drive-by' positions.

    Aaaanywho...I'm pretty sure I'd be safe in saying that, of those 1500 morons who have SURELY got to be partially deaf by now, a good 80% of them were...black. Suprise!

    Now, I KNOW that I've taken a long time to make my point. Hang on. I'm almost there.

    My point is...how can someone POSSIBLY take something for what it IS...a FACT...and twist it into "racial profiling"? It IS what it IS. Black kids make up the majority of the offenders. Period. Finito. End of argument. It's a fact I've seen with my own two eyeballs, fer gawd's sake.

    If it was white redneck kids listening to Willie Nelson at full blast, would there be screams of "racial profiling"? Uh huh. Sure there would.

    Ya just gotta love Peoria Police Department spokeswoman Ann Ruggles' comment, though. If I ever meet her, I wanna shake her hand for pointing out the obvious.

    Peoria police spokeswoman Ann Ruggles said police are monitoring for loud music the same in all parts of the city, regardless of race or address. As for why cars had largely been confiscated from certain areas and from blacks, Ruggles said: "My rationale would be that they're the ones playing the loud music."

    Duh. Ya think?

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home