Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

The last week or so around these parts has been miserably hot. I mean HOT. Florida-middle-of-summer-oppressive-humid-hot. In fact, yesterday I noticed that most parts of Florida were actually cooler than here. It's been dry, too. Dry as a popcorn fart. (I dunno how dry that is, either...it's somethin my dad used to say.)

I ran to WalMart for a couple things this afternoon. I thought I was gonna die. It's only about...what?...10-15 blocks, maybe...from here, but by the time I got back, I wasn't glowing like women are supposed to do when they're hot. I was SWEATING. Old-man-farmhand-baling-hay kinda sweating. Beads of sweat were running down between my boobies, my hair was plastered to my head and my fat thighs were...uh...nevermind. You get the idea.

I even hate bitching about it, though. Poor Ziggy. He works in...guess what? A friggin STEEL MILL. In this heat. It breaks my heart.

Aaaaanywho, we just had the most awesome thunderstorm. I'm not sure I've EVER seen/heard so much thunder and lightning and it got BLACK...almost like nighttime. It rained like a cow pissin on a flat rock, too...(another Donovan-ism). Even got a little hail. And the temp dropped like...20 degrees.

I threw those patio doors open so fast...gawd...the smell...the cool air. It was like takin a plunge in a cool river on a hot day. Heavenly! It looks like our tomato plants took a bit of a beatin, but they were fairly protected by the overhang of the patio. I bet they just loooooved the rain, though.

But, it kills me. All during the storm, one of the local channels kept breakin in and sayin we were under a thunderstorm warning, but "DON'T PANIC!. There's no tornadic activity anywhere around. If you'll notice, there are NO purple areas on the map...only yellow and red. It's only some much-needed rain."

Two minutes later, they're reporting a tornado just touching down about 25 miles south of here and for that area to "TAKE COVER! IT'S A TORNADO!".

Now I realize that weather forecasting is a kinda 'iffy' business. Ya just never know what Mother Nature has in mind. Gawd knows I'm no meterologist, but I've lived here in the midwest for most of my life and I've learned just that. Ya don't EVER count on the weather. And I've learned that if it's just miserably hot, and ya get a big ole thunderstorm, ANYTHING'S possible. Especially tornadoes. Especially in this area.

But right here...right now? Just......"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home