Monday, March 15, 2010

A knee in need

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.

Well, that hurt like a mofo.

Saw the ortho doc today. For exactly 42 seconds. Just long enough for him to look at the x-ray and agree with his PA. The asshole didn't even shake my hand.

Wonder just how much he charges for 42 seconds? Prick.

His PA, on the other hand, was awesome.

He agreed with me. My knee is fubar'd. But he also agreed that a new knee wasn't really an option, considering that they only last for about 10 years and I'm only 55.

So I got a shot of
  • Synvisc

  • in my knee joint.

    I had my choice of 3 injections, several days apart or a one-time big one. I chose the big one. And it was a big dose of liquid with a consistency similar to corn syrup.

    Son. of. a. bitch. Felt like my knee exploded from the inside out.

    But it's supposed to last 6 months. It's a damned good thing...I don't know as I could stand to get 'em any more often.

    I wanted to stop at Menard's on the way outa town, so I headed out Allen Road. I happened to notice the car in front of me, a white Impala. Actually, I noticed the plate...PRD WHT...and a number.

    I hope it didn't mean what I assumed it to mean.

    But I think it probably did.

    They turned into WalMart.

    5 Comments:

    At 5:04 AM , Blogger Randall said...

    Oh yes it did! He lives next door to my mother and has had that plate for years. However, where I live there is a woman who has PRD BLK.

     
    At 3:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am sorry (not being a yank) but even Google will not tell me what is so amusing about PRD etc
    I am also sorry about your knee, here in NZ they do replacements (the state pays)even at 50, they replace the replacemant when it wears out
    Had two mates have it done (old football injuries)not an easy fix but well worth it
    Ray

     
    At 4:18 PM , Blogger Pammy said...

    Randall...I can't believe he hasn't had his tires slashed or his windows broken out.

    Ray...I took the plate to read "Proud White"...and apparently that's what it meant.
    I'm sure a total knee replacement is in my future...at some point. For now, though, I'd just as soon put it off as long as I can.

     
    At 11:27 PM , Blogger Nate said...

    Pam. I asked Kenny today- he of the double knee replacement 2 years ago and his Doc said the model he has is good for the rest of his life with just biannual inspections for wear and tear on the replaceable plastic parts. Kenny's a BIG guy and if they can make knee replacements to handle his bulk, they must make some that will work for you for longer than 10 years.

     
    At 8:09 PM , Anonymous Bou said...

    I have a gf with rheumatoid so bad her knee was absolutely shot by age 47. She had it replaced in June (age 48) and was up and going... good grief... in a matter of weeks. It's amazing. She'd do it all over again, in a heartbeat.

    When you feel that crappy, you seriously feel that crappy, you don't care if they have to replace it in 10-15, however, they think she'll get a long dang time off of it.

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home