Saturday, April 08, 2006

So much blog fodder...

...so much apathy.

There are probably a dozen things right now regarding current events...local issues, national issues, political issues, social issues, yada, yada, yada (ad nauseum) that I could post about. Believe it or not, I have very strong opinions on most of those issues. But let's face it...when push comes to shove, I just don't care.

I don't care that Cynthia McKinney of the Buckwheat hairdo fame is a racist moron. I don't care that Bush is leading all us lemmings towards the cliff. I don't care that many of us have turned into a buncha idiots who have no inkling what the words 'personal responsibility' mean. I don't care that our government seems bound and determined to invade every aspect of our lives, including our bedrooms. (Ok...I kinda care about that.)

I don't care that most people ignore the fact that we don't import most of our foreign oil from the Mid-East. I don't care that most people seem to be perfectly willing to give up every article of our Constitution, including the right to protect yourself. I don't care that Christian fundamentalists are damn near as bad as Muslim fundamentalists...they just haven't beheaded anyone...yet. I don't care that we seem bound and determined to 'politically correct' ourselves right into oblivion.

I don't care if the District 150 school board members, the Peoria city council and Caterpillar, Inc. all seem to have taken the same hallucenogenic and are having misplaced visions of grandeur..."Ooooo, man...the COLORS!..."

I've been bitten by the apathy bug.

At this particular point in my life, as long as it doesn't affect me or my own little world...as long as it doesn't disrupt my personal space...as long as it doesn't make me uncomfortable in any way, it simply ceases to matter to me. Oh, I may rant and rave, but in the greater scheme of things...well...those 'outside' things are...irrelevant. Why waste my breath?

Ya know, it's funny. When you're a child, the whole world revolves around you. Your own comfort is of utmost importance. It seems like when most people age, the same thing happens. The older you get, the more...self-centered...you become.

I suppose in some...primal...way, it's a form of self-preservation. When you're young and vulnerable, it's all about you. Getting your needs met...you cry when you're hungry or tired or in pain. Your main concerns are food, shelter and comfort...you NEED those things to survive. Once you've become an 'adult' and obtained most of those things, you're able to focus on other things. Those 'non-essential' things in life.

If I remember my college psychology right, I think it's got something to do with Maslow's Theory....yup
  • here it is
  • .

    I think that he should have continued the pyramid...turned it into a sort of diamond shape. As you age, things start going down the levels of importance again. (I know...prolly makes no sense to you, but I know what I'm tryin to say..heh)

    I think that that would place me somewhere just below the center of the diamond shape.

    I suppose I shouldn't feel bad about it, though I do...kinda. I know, for a fact, that there are those out there that care less than I do. Honest ta gawd...Ziggy works with a middle-aged guy who had nooo idea who Condi Rice was. Talk about living in your own little world. That tells me that he's most likely never voted in a political election and never watches the news or reads a newspaper.

    Betcha he can tell ya what the last episode of 'Everybody Loves Raymond' or some equally vacuous tv show was about, though.

    The realllly sad thing is, that there are probably a hundred million other equally apathetic American citizens.

    If I really cared, I'd think that was just soooo....pathetic.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home