Sunday, March 30, 2014

Cancer-free?

For the time being....maybe?

Well, the surgery is over. She took out more of around where the original tumor was and 8 lymph nodes. The "more" she took out has clear margins...which means there are no cancer cells found. The nodes were all clear, too. Good news!

The surgery, or rather the recovery part, was....horrendous. They had a hard time getting me awake. Once I DID manage to become somewhat alert, the vomiting started....and didn't quit. For FOUR days. Even with an anti-emetic in OR and a anti-nausea patch for 24 hours afterward. Between the ET tube that they put in during surgery and the vomiting, my throat felt like I had an awful case of strep....couldn't talk for a couple days, either. And the body aches?? Good gawd...I told the Zigster that I thought they dropped me on the floor sometime while I was out. EVERYthing hurt. It's been dang near 7 days, and I still don't feel...."right". I'm kind of fuzzy-headed, still. And I still get occasional twinges of nausea. ICK.The incisions are much more painful than the original lumpectomy, too.

My daughter came up from St. Louis to stay a couple days and help out...she was awesome! Except she didn't handle my nausea too well. Can you say sympathetic vomiting? heh But the Zigster...he'd make a damn fine nurse. He's been incredible...a rock. I truly don't know how I'd have gotten along without him.

At any rate, it's a big relief....the nodes being clear. I was pretty concerned about that. I could just see it...she'd have to keep cutting. And keep cutting. Then chemo. Then radiation. That's the problem with being a nurse....I know all the bad stuff that can happen. Sometimes, I think it would have been better to go into this oblivious. Or not...I don't know.

Now, I have the radiation to look forward to. Just before surgery, the doc said that it'd take about a month to heal well enough for that to start and then I'd talk to the oncologist to see how long was recommended....a week, four weeks or six. I'm hoping for the one week, of course. But I can't imagine getting THAT lucky.

I DO feel relieved. Of course I do. But this is always going to be hanging over my head. Will it come back? Will I develop it somewhere else? It'll always...always be in the back of my mind.

But...for now....YIPPEE!!!


4 Comments:

At 6:51 PM , Anonymous Tamyra said...

So glad to hear. Sucky bummer about post-op, though. Just keep getting better.

 
At 6:32 AM , Blogger pamibe said...

SO good the hear that stuff is out of your body!

Praying that you stay cancer-free!!

 
At 9:32 AM , Blogger Pammy said...

Thanks, Tamyra!

Pam, that's kinda how I felt....was just glad that....thing....is out of my body. Kinda like in "Alien". LOL

 
At 10:01 PM , Blogger Mrs. Who said...

Good news...awesome, actually!! Prayers that the good results continue, and that your recovery is quicker and easier from this point.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home