Friday, March 14, 2014

If I have cancer, why don't I feel any different?

My daughters newest tat....in honor of my fight.

According to Elizabeth Kubler Ross, there are 5 stages of grief that one goes through when one suffers a loss or other major tragedy in their life:
Denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

When I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I never experienced denial....I went right straight to "anger". Boy....was I pissed. For maybe two weeks. Then I skipped "bargaining" and went to "depression". That only lasted about a week. Now I'm at "acceptance".

I. Have. Breast. Cancer. Period. I have it. It's mine, for better or worse...but hopefully, not for long. And I'm at the point now where I'm just....ready to get on with it. My surgery is in a little over a week...I wish it was sooner. I'm done with having breast cancer. Done. So done. And I've really not even started yet.

The Zigster has been my rock. When I told him, his first words were, "Ok. Now, what are we (he said "WE") going to do about it? Because, you know, we'll do whatever we have to". 

I loved that. He didn't cry. He didn't try to avoid...which is what he usually does in a difficult discussion. We laugh about it. I always tell him I can see a big AVOID! AVOID AVOID! sign flashing on his forehead whenever I tell him"we need to have a talk". heheh He didn't shut down. And he's been great at hearing me out since. He's listened when I've bitched and moaned. He's offered his down to earth, pragmatic advice. I think he's accepted it, too. That doesn't mean we like it. Not at all.

Now, I feel like I'm...back to normal...despite not even yet having the surgery or the radiation therapy. In my head, I mean. In my head, I feel like I'm back to normal. Or as "normal" as I get, anyway. For a few weeks there, I didn't feel like me. And now I do.

I hope that doesn't change. Because, no matter what my body looks like...whether I still have two breasts or one wonky looking one or just one...or even none....I want to still feel like me in my head.

4 Comments:

At 8:19 AM , Blogger pamibe said...

Love the ink!

You know, I think a positive attitude counts for much. I'm like that; whatever it is, just cut it off/out and let me get on with life. ;)

Good luck with the surgery, though you won't need it!

 
At 8:54 AM , Blogger Pammy said...

I'm usually like that, Pam....I have a "let's just get on with it" attitude about most things and tend to not get hung up "thinking" too much. This has kinda knocked me for a loop, however. Up until now, I really haven't been in my right mind since the diagnosis. LOL

 
At 8:54 AM , Blogger Pammy said...

Oh, and thanks for the "good luck"!

 
At 12:17 AM , Blogger Mrs. Who said...

Don't know what to add...sounds like you have good support from family. Prayers for everyone.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home