Sunday, June 07, 2009

R & B...with grilled asparagus on the side

It's been a fun weekend here at Zig's River Rat Retreat.

Last night, we hit da Zigster's 40th....ohmyfuckingawdhe'sOLD...class reunion. Well, part of it, anyway. We skipped the "dinner" and hit the River Valley Bowl in Henry for the "party" part.

Henry-Senachwine Class of '69...well, part of the class. Ziggy's there on the far right...slingin his bottle of Corona around.


I had a great time and really liked most of his classmates I met. Honestly, having also grown up in a little river town of similar size, it seemed like home to me.

The entertainment for the evening was provided by the band with no name. It was put together by Bob McBride, the brother of one of Zig's classmates...and they were awesome. I feel bad I didn't get the name of all the guys...I know one was Dave Scott...but I think the rest were from Chicago. Whoever they were, I'd love to hear 'em again sometime.



I managed to sleep til 10 this morning...kind of unheard of, lately. Fortunately, I managed to sleep through what few...ah...aftereffects...I might have had from partying last night.

Even though it was kind of gloomy with a few little sprinkles of rain, we decided that steak on the grill might hit the spot.

Earlier this week, I snagged some fresh asparagus at our local grocery. I wanted to try grilling some, so figured it might be the perfect accompaniment to our ribeyes. And it was.



Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Garlic

1 1/2 lb. fresh asparagus spears, washed and trimmed
3 T olive oil
4-5 cloves fresh garlic, grated
Zest of one lemon plus maybe 1 t lemon juice
Salt & pepper

Mix the olive oil, garlic, lemon zest & juice, salt & pepper. Throw the asparagus in the marinade and smoosh it all around. Grill the marinated spears on a medium-heat grill for about 5 minutes, turning once.

I thawed out some pre-cooked shrimp, so we had shrimp cocktail along with our steak and asparagus. We had a feast.

I think it's time for a nap. heh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home