Saturday, March 22, 2008

"So it is written...



...so it shall be done."



"Behold! The hail comes!"

Ahhhh, gawd. They just don't make movies like
  • The Ten Commandments
  • anymore.

    I loooove this movie. Yea, I know. But it's great story. And, c'mon...it's Cecil B. DeMille, fer gawd's sake.

    I love the ginormous...proportions...of it. I love the corny dialogue. I love the Edith Head costumes. I love the state-of-the-art (for 1956, anyway) special effect. Oh, especially the special effects.

    When Moses turns the Nile to blood...the parting of the Red Sea...the pillar of fire...the burning bush. And who could forget the inscribing of the Ten Commandments on the stone tablets? Oh, and the scene where the Hebrews are leaving the city to follow Moses...the scope...the sheer bigness of it.

    And the color! The filming in Panavision or Vistavision or one of those "visions" just makes everything look surreally real. It's like a big ole Easter feast for the eyes.

    'Course, the major hunkage of Charlton, Yul and John Derek is a pretty nice feast for the eyes, too.



    "Moses, you dirty rat!"

    No, the character of Dathan didn't really say that. But one can't help but expect it to come outa Edward G. Robinson's mouth somewhere during the movie.



    Previously-mentioned John Derek. Tied up. Be still my heart. Screw the Easter Bunny. John Derek in a loincloth is the highlight of my Easter observance.



    Anne Baxter as the conniving slut, Nefertiri. Not to be confused with...


    ...Nefertiti.

    Add my fascination with ancient Egypt...pharoahs and pyramids and mummies, oh my!...and this movie ranks right up there as one of my all-time favorites.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home