Sunday, October 22, 2006

Beer and the blues



We made one weekend event. Unfortunately, we missed Andy today.

We hit Po' Boy's last night and had a great time. The food was...well...ok. I guess. Zig had the fried oyster/shrimp combo and it was good. I had the crabcakes and I've definitely had better....and cheaper. I thought thirteen bucks was a bit pricey for three small cakes (which weren't even hot) and an order of fries. No salad. No slaw. Just crabcakes and fries. The fries were great, though.

Though the food was pretty disappointing, the selection of beer they have on hand was pretty amazing. In fact, we decided to have a little "tasting party". Zig'd order one and I'd order one and we'd switch back and forth. And I learned something. I learned that a catchy name does not mean the beer is good. And there were some great names.


Take the "Sweaty Betty", for instance. Great name. And pretty appropriate. It tasted like sweat. With a little lemon thrown in. Honestly, though...it kinda grew on me. I'm thinkin if it was ice cold and it was a really hot day, it'd be...nah...it'd still be nasty.

For downright nastiness, though, "Dazed and Infused" beat Sweaty Betty all to hell. Gawd! That shit tasted like acetone. And left the most gawdawful aftertaste. ACK!

Third worst was "Hobgoblin". It was drinkable. That's the best I can say for it.

We did like "Delirium Tremens". Light, sparkly, mildly sweet. I'm thinkin it could probably kick your ass, though.

And "Young's Double Chocolate Stout". Oh. My. Gawd. Thick, rich, chocolaty and smoooooooooth. SO smooth. Not something that'd you'd want every day, but as a treat, it's great. I know chocolate and beer just don't seem to go together, but it worked.

A hit with Zig was "Monty Python's Holy Ale" - "Tempered over burning witches". I thought it was a tad bitter, but I guess it's supposed to be. I just don't happen to be a fan of bitter.

We also had "Blue Moon", which we love, anyway and I had a couple "Purple Haze". I got turned on to that several years ago in 'Nawlins.

So, anyway...the food was passable. The beer was better. But the music...ohhhh, the music!

  • Joe Metzka
  • is one bluesy boy. And the sax player kicks some major ass.

    Particularly loved their cover of Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine".

    So, thanks
  • Kev
  • for the great idea! It was the perfect way to spend a birthday.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home