Monday, January 11, 2010

Maybe Al Gore's on to something

Nahhh

Though the temp is up to a whole 20 degrees today, there's not much global warming goin on around here.


Stewie took a minute out of his busy schedule to do a little wistful bird watching.


I'm half-way through my eighth day of being a non-smoker. So far, it hasn't been too bad. Oh, there are times I want one...like right now...but thankfully, the urge passes pretty fast. We don't have any in the house, so that helps, too. If we did, I'm not so sure I'd have been able to resist.

I know everything says to try to avoid your smoking "triggers". Unfortunately, it's kinda hard to go take a walk or even get outside right now, so I've found that I seem to do ok by just kinda...pushing through the triggers.

It's really funny...I find that the absolute worst times for me aren't after a meal or with my coffee in the morning or when driving. It's when I'm cleaning or cooking or just generally doing crap around the house. See, I'd take "breaks" every now and then...sit down with a coffee and a cigarette. It was my "treat" for...doing whatever it was I was doing that I felt I needed a treat for. heh I miss that. I really miss that.

Anywho, I never thought in a million years that I'd be able to do this cold turkey. Hell, I didn't think I'd do it at all. Or at least, without being in a freaking coma.

And, if I stumble...and I'm not kidding myself...I might...at least I know I can do it again. It can be done.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 9:46 PM , Anonymous MrsDoF said...

I have never smoked, so I cannot know what you are going through.
I think you are being brave for quitting.
My dad quit at least 4 times. Watching him with so many medical troubles is why I never ever wanted to take up the habit.

I do know about the "taking breaks" :)
I like to crochet, so I tell myself that I have to do some household chore before I allow myself to sit down with hook and yarn.

 
At 11:27 PM , Blogger Omnibabe said...

Here's what I figured out: The cravings are not monstrous -- they're more like a spoiled 4 year old. You ignore the routine bad behavior and reward the good. When the little brat throws a temper tantrum, you either walk away and pretend you've never seen the little darling before in your life - OR - you throw yourself down on the floor and throw a bigger hissy fit. Either way, you win and the brat loses.

 
At 9:17 AM , Anonymous Tkay said...

I quit smoking with the help of a hypnotist. One of the tools he gave me was to repeat this phrase when a craving hit, "Just for this moment, I choose not to smoke!" I couldn't think about never having a smoke again, but I could live with the decision to not smoke "for this moment."

Mega good luck to you! It's a worthwhile endeavor.

 
At 7:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big congratulations to you! I am planning to quit this year (it will be my first time trying), and hearing about your experience is inspiring!

 
At 9:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never smoked (to mean when they were 20 cents a packet)
Never had to give up
Just letting you know there are plenty of us hoping you make it
it is not easy but strength of mind can do it
My uncle and aunt after a life time gave up because it had become socially unacceptable to smoke here in New Zealand
Ray
So, like you, they just stopped

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home