Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Not your ordinary rabbit food

We eat a lot of fresh vegetables every week. Usually a couple-three servings a day, anyway. And some of our favorites are broccoli and cauliflower. More fiber!

I fix both steamed, roasted, raw with some kinda dip, in pasta, with different kinds of sauces...just about every way you can think of, but I'm always on the lookout for a different way to prepare our two favorites.

We were at a party this past weekend. Someone (I never could find out who, exactly) brought a fabulous salad made with fresh broccoli and cauliflower. Because I couldn't figure out who brought it, I couldn't get a recipe. So, I did what I usually do in cases like this.

I analyzed it...then came up with my own recipe.

Frankly, I think mine's better. It's easy-peasy, yummy but even better after a day or two and great for those summer cookouts.

Broccoli/Cauliflower Salad

1 head of cauliflower and 1 big bunch broccoli (about the same size as the cauliflower)
1 medium sized red onion, finely diced
1/2 C raisins
1/2 C shelled, salted sunflower seeds
1 C Light Miracle Whip (or real mayo...your preference)
2% milk or fat-free half & half (that's what I used)
part of a packet of Sweet N Low (or 2/3 t sugar)
salt & pepper

Break up the cauliflower and broccoli into small, bite-sized florets and place in a big bowl.
Add the onion, raisins and sunflower seeds.

In a smaller bowl, mix enough milk or half & half into the Miracle Whip or mayo to make a thick, but "pourable" dressing. Add the sweetner or sugar and salt & pepper to taste. Pour the dressing over the veggie mix and stir until everything's coated well with the dressing.

As with most of my recipes, I "guesstimated" the amounts of ingredients. Adjust 'em according to the size of the heads of cauliflower/broccoli - you might hafta use a little more or less Miracle Whip or mayo...just make sure you've got enough to cover all the ingredients well.

If you use a "normal" sized heads of cauliflower and broccoli, it makes a BIG bowl full...plenty for a big family get-together or cookout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home