Monday, June 22, 2009

My slightly green thumb

Despite having worked at a florist/greenhouse for 5 or 6 years, I seem to have forgotten a whole lot of stuff concerning growing things. Luckily, I tend to pick things that are a little more unusual, but pretty much care-free.

I don't remember the name of this tall, spiky-looking plant was...but I loooove it. It's kinda tropical-looking...in a gigantic, pineapply sorta way. I stuck in some pony-tail grass and a purple sweet potato vine and I think it looks kinda cool.



Now let me tell ya about my elephant ears.

I had one helluva time gettin the bastards to grow. Waaay last spring, I bought four corms or tubers or whatever the beginnings of 'em are called...they look like round, lumpy balls...at Lowe's. When it started to look like spring might happen, I planted 'em according to the directions on the package. And waited. And waited. And waited.

Nothing.

Sooo, I found one...already started...at one of our local greenhouses. It was a purple one...and I wanted the green one...but took what they had. I planted it in the same container as the dead-beat balls. And guess what?

They all started growing. So I bought more pots and more potting soil and transplanted 'em.

Now that it's gone directly from winter to summer...the temp is in the 90's today, with a heat index of like 110...you can damn near watch 'em grow. I swear...they grow an inch or two a day.

I guess tropical plants tend to like tropical weather, huh? And it's definitely tropical around these parts today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home