Thursday, January 31, 2008

"...and they all look just the same..."



During my workday, I have the sometimes-dubious opportunity to visit a lot of homes in a lot of neighborhoods. A lot of diverse neighborhoods. They run the gamut from the ghetto to the upper-upper class. From the meanest, shabbiest one-room apartments to the upper six-figure homes.

From the ridiculous to the sublime, as it were.

I happened upon (what I consider) a ridiculous one today.

Now, I can certainly understand one wanting to live in a new home. Personally, I prefer the older home with a little character. But to each his own, I suppose. And I can understand one wishing to get away from the "inner city" and all it's problems.

Having said all that, why in the world anyone would wanna live in a maze of a subdivision where every single house was nearly identical is just...well...Dunlap...uh...I mean, it's beyond me. I don't get it.

I mean...whatever happened to individuality? I shit you not...these homes...color-wise...it was depressing to just drive around. The colors of the homes ran the gamut. From grey to a couple different shades of beige.

Ick.

I felt like writing a suicide note by the time I got away from there.

Good gawd...how do those people find their way home at night? It felt like friggin Stepford.

I bet there are pods in the basements.

And while I know these homes were probably in the low to mid-six figure range, they looked...well...cheap. If the one I was in was a good example, (and it probably was...it looked exactly like it's neighbors) it was cheaply made.

Ticky tacky boxes sums it up perfectly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home