Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Opera, schmopera

I normally lump opera right down there with old-timey "honkey-tonk" music. With the very rare exception, I never cared for either one.

This is one of the "rare exceptions". I suppose it can't really be classified as opera in the true sense of the word. It's a single song, composed for the movie "Hannibal" and also used in "Kingdom of Heaven"...which is what I'm watching right now. I recognized the music and had to go looking for it. It's titled "Vide Cor Meum" and no...I have no idea what that translates as.



Though it's sung in Italian/Latin (according to Wikipedia), and it damn near brings me to tears every time I hear it, the English lyrics are nearly as beautiful written as they are sung.

Chorus: And thinking of her
Sweet sleep overcame me

I am your master
See your heart
And of this burning heart
Your heart
(Chorus: She trembling)
Obediently eats.
Weeping, I saw him then depart from me.

Joy is converted
To bitterest tears

I am in peace
My heart
I am in peace
See my heart

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home